Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thoughts on Sports

Sports are wonderful - full of energy, laughter, people, victory and defeat. In the past few weeks, I have thoroughly enjoyed living in my house at Central Michigan University for several reasons: (1) Able to catch up on some reading and writing; (2) Relax after a two-month internship with the Shanghai Business Review magazine; (3) Hang out with friends; (4) And participate in numerous activities - not exclusive to sports (biking on nature paths, rollerblading, throwing a frisbee in my front yard, etc).

An active lifestyle is a must for me; which might be another reason why I enjoy traveling as much as I do. In my opinion, getting involved in sport-like activities is not only an excellent way to occupy ones time, stay fit and healthy, but also an opportunity to build relationships. Without a doubt, the bond between Draper, Zetterberg, Helm, Datsyuk, Cleary and Osgood (Detroit Red Wings - hockey) is unmistakably different from let's say their university friends and neighbors. Sports bring people together - people sweat together, laugh together, cheer together, cry together and celebrate together. "In high school, sports gave me a sense of belonging - being a part of a team," said my good friend Laura Cochrun. At the same time, the Red Wings players may be a wee bit closer than the few regulars I play beach volleyball with every Wednesday night. Oh, the minor details.

A few sports I enjoy participating in, watching, or attempting to play are volleyball, soccer (or football for those of you outside the U.S.), hockey and American football - truly spectacular sports. I wouldn't say I am even close to the remarkable skills of Olympian Misty May, but I'd like to think my passion and love for volleyball runs neck n' neck - again...I would like to think this, but it doesn't particularly mean it's true. Misty's commitment to volleyball undoubtedly surpasses mine. But really, I would like to believe those who are active in sports have an inner desire to live up to the dedication and determination of any champion. Why not? We do it for everything else, don't we?

In China, my Mandarin tutor and I were discussing the sports we love. She casually slipped in her love of badminton and I just couldn't help but think it was also popular in the U.S...50 years ago. Again, minor details. It is always interesting to learn about the popular sports in different countries: Rugby in New Zealand, baseball in America, polo in England and soccer in most of Western Europe. Naturally, there are several countries with similar sport interests; I am merely naming a few that stick out in my mind.

All in all, sports or any physical activity for that matter add greatly to life. Some may be a bit more exciting that others (golf would be on my list of 'sports I could do without'), but for the most part all of them are entertaining and physically stimulating in one way or another. If nothing else, such activities are fantastic for releasing any negative energy lurking in our bodies. Bump, set and SPIKE IT TO THE GROUND!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Great Wall

The Great Wall
Beijing, China