Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Life after College

The next chapter of my life is creeping up to me rather quickly. It is something I can't avoid, nor is it something I want to avoid. There are of course students who fear life after college. The oh-so-troublesome questions inevitably haunt them: "Where will I live? Who will pay my bills? I can't sleep in until noon anymore...whhaaaaat?!"

Ever since my sophomore year in high school, New York City has been my calling. Before summer of '07, the city was merely a dream, an American version of Paris. Upon returning from my nine-month stay in France, the city couldn't have been more lovely. Within a little over a month, I did almost everything most New Yorkers do on a daily basis: rooftop films; Sunday picnics in Central Park; roughly 40 rice pudding options to taste and love from Rice to Riches; Friday trips to the Guggenheim; working in the upper east side of Manhattan; grocery shopping at the local co-op with reusable bags; emailing in Starbucks; sweating profusely in the subway; hotdog stands (not by Times Square); concerts featuring new artists (Alice Smith); and drinking a beer with my sister, Kathrine, whilst sitting on a rusty, metal "porch" on the third floor of her Brooklyn apartment. I knew, based off of these wee excursions and daily routines that New York was in my blood - we were destined to be together (as foolish as it may seem).

Post-graduate destination cities are the topic of most discussions for seniors, fifth-year seniors, and dare I say it, sixth-year seniors. With the economy nowadays, though seemingly better than it was six months ago, students should accept the unavoidable possibility of NOT living in their home state. Sure, it is a scary thought, but hey, there ARE 50 other states in the U.S. (including Puerto Rico - :)) Some might not be the most desirable states to live in and I'll avoid listing those, but if jobs are lacking...start packing. The latest joke on the street these days is Trina Thompson, a woman who graduated from New York's Monroe College. Apparently, she is attempting to sue her alma mater $72,000 (the cost of her entire tuition), because she has been unsuccessful in finding a job. Huh, interesting - another prime example of the American philosophy - sue anyone for any darn reason. It is on these instances I wish I could teleport and look into these eyes of people like Trina and say, "Really?"

Honestly, I do not pity any graduate who has not found a job within six months after graduating college, unless of course he or she searched outside the comfortable, convenient radius of his or her hometown. Naturally, other factors may come into play if one hasn't acquired a job. Nonetheless, it might be risky to pack-up and move across the country, but what's the harm in taking risks? Considering the American theme nowadays is CHANGE, and Obama's "We Can" is sweeping across the world, take a chance...explore the beauty of the U.S.; explore the world.

Random facts to take into consideration: according to Time magazine, Michigan has the lowest employment rate at 0.01%, and Texas has the highest with 2.02%. Although Texas is NOT on my list of top five destination states, it may be on yours.

After graduating from CMU this December, if I haven't found a job - one that pays the bills -within four or five months of living in New York City, I will happily delete this post. Additionally, I toast to fellow students who aspire to go outside their cozy state borders. In short, venture out and experience life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Great Wall

The Great Wall
Beijing, China