Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My Last, First Day of Classes

It is noon and the delicious, mouth-watering aroma of a grande carmel cafe is beside my beautiful MacBook Pro and it just hit me - MY LAST, FIRST DAY OF CLASSES!

I remember last spring when 80 percent of my household was so joyful at the thought of nearing the end of undergraduate school. Aside from mere jealousy, it was a small reminder that I still had another semester before I could join this wee celebration. Alas, my time has come! It's almost surreal, but I think the surreality will fade quickly and utter excitement will take its place. Who would not be enthusiastic about finishing a five and a half year degree?

It is quite funny the first day of class remains the same from semester to semester: professors do a quick (or slow) run-through of their syllabus, underclassmen appear a bit too dolled-up for class (It is my understanding that we are not enrolled at New York's Fashion Institute), campus bookstores are chaotic and upperclassmen sit impatiently on uncomfortable classroom chairs wondering why on earth they were required to register for Geology 101: Prehistoric Life - blogger's current thought.

For upperclassmen, the first week is not just redundant - buy books, go through syllabi, pay tuition, etc - but it is an opportunity for them to be leaders.

Last weekend, for example, I was walking home from work and a fellow student stopped me and asked, "Do you know where the Towers are located?" Why of course, just walk south on Washington Street and they are on the right. After the brief encounter, I continued on my path to my house with a high sense of seniority. Additionally, on Monday, I was headed to Kaya, a coffee shop, for French Conversation Hour and a woman leaned out of the window of her Jeep Cherokee and yelled, "Do you know where AnspaCH is?!" Unfortunately I did not have time to take out my headphones and respond, but the 'ch' pronunciation was clear as day and it just killed me. For those of you who are not in-the-know, the 'ch' is silent. Oh newbees...

1 comment:

  1. haha! I have to admit that I once tried to pronounce it with the CH and was quickly (but kindly) corrected :o) ohhh, what it was like to be a newbee...

    Congrats on beginning your last semester of college!! I hope to be down there soon to celebrate this beautiful time in your life! :o)

    ReplyDelete

The Great Wall

The Great Wall
Beijing, China