Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Big Apple

It's been a little over a week since I moved to Brooklyn. Every morning I wake up from my eight-hour sleep and it feels as though I am waking up in any other place I've lived in before, if that makes any sense. It's not until I walk down the three flights of stairs, pass through two doors, place my earbuds into my ears, take a deep breath and gaze at Park Slope's scenery that I realize...I am living in New York City.

The quick, two-block route to the metro is plenty of time to listen to at least two great songs or one rather long song, a Beethoven classic for instance. Yes, I do still like the classics. My latest is the Cello Suite No. 1, which is probably most memorable from the poorly-directed film, The Soloist. For me, cellos are like bagpipes. Please don't be to quick to judge yet. I consider both bagpipes and cellos to be particularly difficult to play; thus, it takes incredibly talented musicians to surpass such a challenge. Once surpassed, it's hard for the audience to avoid such a magnificent sound - all the reason why I've listened to Cello Suite No. 1 at least ten times in the last two days. Huh...I may be obsessed.

Anyways...I tend to get overly excited when it comes to instrumental music. Case in point I suppose.

Back to NYC.

Obama's motto for the presidential elections was change. Well, as I wait for the Q or R train to arrive in the metro, I tend to gander from side to side, looking at the real New Yorkers - those who have lived in the city longer than a week. Based off of the 30 seconds it takes me to look at those nearest and farthest from me, some things never change. Black is still New Yorkers' preference of color and fashion sense...well, let's say it never ceases to amaze me.

One aspect I love most about the city is its unpredictability; whether it's the unique passengers aboard the metro trains with dual personalities (ask and I'll explain) or whether it's the latest fashion trend - which hasn't yet hit the wee cities in Michigan.

Undoubtedly, I still have a lot to learn about this culturally diverse city; however, there is one thing I already know...I love it here.

Note to readers: writing more often is on my agenda, so please stay tuned for my future excursions and unexpected events in the Big Apple.

1 comment:

  1. City fashions take a while to get used to. You eventually pigeonhole everyone - ok, NYC has twice the population of my entire country, but still - as emo, posh, trendy or doesn't care, the last being the largest. If you haven't experienced city life in the long-term, eventually you become judgemental as all get out. Maybe you'll avoid that Sam, but it certainly happened to me. It's no bad thing - I tend to think of it as the natural evolution of discernment (not even sure if that's a word...)

    ReplyDelete

The Great Wall

The Great Wall
Beijing, China